Here’s some fun stats on superstitions from Bud Light, who surveyed 10,000 NFL fans with 50 questions.
Patriots fans are the 22nd most superstitious team in the league and more than one-third of Patriots fans wear the same article of clothing every game for the win.
The top 5 most superstitious fan bases:
1. Baltimore Ravens fans
2. Arizona Cardinals fans
3. New Orleans Saints fans
4. Oakland Raiders fans
5. Philadelphia Eagles fans
I used to be a somewhat superstitious fan, but the only thing now is that I wear the same hat for each game, one that I buy new for each season.
Maybe the reason Pats fans aren’t that superstitious is that we usually win, so any accidental changes in game routine wouldn’t really seem to matter.
Here’s some more fun stuff…
Patriots Fan Stats:
- Don’t ask me to move. More than one-third (35%) of Patriots fans sit in the same spot every game to boost team performance.
- BFFs: Patriots fans rank second in the league (22%) for engaging in superstitious activities with their friends. Only Raiders fans are more friend-centric.
- This old thing? More than one-third (35%) of Patriots fans wear the same article of clothing every game for the win.
- Almost one-fourth of Patriots fans (24%) believe their superstitious activities affect the outcome of the game.
- It’s not me, it’s you: Seventy-one percent of New England fans believe fellow Patriots are more superstitious than themselves.
Patriots Fan Superstitions:
- “I always eat the same snack during the game (sour cream and onion chips), and I only allow talking during the commercials.” – Female, Age 30-39
- “I sit in ‘my’ spot on the couch at my folks’ house.” – Male, Age 21-29
- “I don’t wash my Patriots jersey and wear it every time a game is on.” – Female, Age 21-29
- “During playoffs, I always buy this seven layer dip from a local store, and whenever I eat it and watch the game they always win!” – Female, Age 21-29
- “I have an old Patriots patch that I keep on a table next to my chair.” – Male, Age 70+
What about you guys? What are your superstitions?
For more complete details on the survey results, including team-by-team breakdowns, visitnewsroom.anheuser-busch.com/budlightnfl. For more information on Bud Light’s NFL sponsorship throughout the season, visit BudLight.com or Facebook.com/BudLight.