The NFL released the full order of the 2017 draft today and the Patriots are sitting pretty with four selections in the first three rounds.
Here’s the full list of Patriots picks:
- 1st Round, Pick 32, 32nd overall
- 2nd Round, Pick 32, 64th overall
- 3rd Round, Pick 32, 96th overall
- 3rd Round, Pick 39, 103rd overall (via Cleveland for Jamie Collins)
- 4th Round, Pick 31, 137th overall
- 5th Round, Pick 19, 163rd overall (via Denver for AJ Derby)
- 5th Round, Pick 40, 183rd overall (compensatory, lost Hicks/Wilson, added McClellin)
- 7th Round, Pick 21, 239th overall
The Patriots forfeited a 4th rounder, pick 25 as the final pound of flesh for Deflategate. Yes, it’s not quite over just yet.
The top four picks coming in the first three rounds are certainly useful. With so many free agents there’s no question the Patriots are going to have to add some young talent in a number of spots, including, but not confined to, linebacker, defensive end, tight end, and running back.
It might sound crazy but I believe they’ll have at least a couple trade downs to round out their selections at the bottom of the draft. Usually they love taking swings on seventh rounders and having just one pick in the last two rounds isn’t going to fly.
Still, this is a good balance set of picks, far better than last year when they had to cash in a second rounder just to buy their preferred flexibility.